The Methodist Book Depot Limited (MBDL) was established in 1881 as a small “Book Room” by Rev. John Millum with a stock of Twenty (20) British Pounds in Cape Coast.
It was established to feature as a commercial wing of the Methodist Church and in the main, providing Christian Literature and other educational materials to church members and the general public.
In 1960, it was incorporated as a Limited Liability Company with the following objects:
- “To contribute to the religious, cultural, social and economic life of the people of Ghana in such a manner as to be in furtherance of the objects of the Methodist Church of Ghana”;
- To carry on business as proprietors and publishers of newspapers, journals … books and other literary works…”;
- To carry on the business of stationers, printers, manufacturers and dealers of railway, engineers, cabinets makers …”;
- To sell, lease, exchange, let or hire or dispose of any real or personal property or undertaking of the Company or any part or parts thereof for such consideration as the company may think fit…”
The Methodist Church Ghana owns 100% of the shares in the Company. The number of ordinary shares stands at 120,200 as at December, 2019.